Tuesday 18 September 2012

"Sand in My Shorts"


The poetry continues.  Quite frankly, "It never ends!" (Over the Hedge)

I read The Haunting at the lit cafe on Sunday.  (As a "brawta" I did I Can Dream.)  As I read, I felt comfortable.  It was a delightful almost-seven minutes.  I'd like to do it again.  A small group had gathered at the Moonshine Cafe in Oakville. And, they kept their word :-)  Reading and listening to poetry inside that literary cafe drew the probability of my being a published poet that much closer.  It was...inspiring, y'know?  I know.  I use that word here a lot - for the same reason spelled out in the phrase that I also use here a lot: "Sometimes, you just need to be inspired."

The poem I'm about to share was written when I was 21.  Gonna be honest.  I was looking through this worn and torn book of poems, reading and re-reading and, I just found myself laughing out loud. For a few of them, I had to compose myself to continue. Of course I'm not laughing at the idea of my younger self in love. That couldn't be it...Nah!  I'll work on it.  I have a theory but, more anon.

Here now:

Sand in My Shorts

You took me from my dream
Into your reality.
Everything that I've ever hoped for
You handed to me
Under a star-spangled platter
Then, nothing else seemed to matter
But your sharing my fantasy
That dream which you had now
Realized.

And, in your eyes
I saw you doubting
Whether or not my love was mounting.
And I closed my eyes
And loved you

Hoping for no hurting retorts
While I had sand
In the folds of my shorts.

- Dnafcnatgada


No comments:

Post a Comment