Wednesday 8 January 2014

Freefall Writing: What Will This Unearth?


Undeniably, this was one way to go. I decided on doing freefall writing for January’s posts, to see what would be unearthed from my subconscious at the beginning of the year. How did I decide how to start this post? I closed my eyes and, when I opened them, the first letter on the keyboard I saw was the ‘U’. Oh. That palindrome was not planned. Just so you  know. Neither was that rhyme. It just happens... Let's move on.

Happy New Year!

They say one is not supposed to edit while doing this kind of writing. “Writing without a parachute”, they call it. I’ve cheated three times already. Shoot. Four. Sigh. Now, Five. I have to live with myself! And spelling errors and typos ought not to count. Speaking of counting, we’re almost 10 days into the New Year. Yes, there are those of us who are wont to keep track of this sort of thing; we just don’t (six!) do it noticeably. My question was gonna be, how’s it going for you so far?

For some, it’s too early to tell. For others – not the we-are-here-to-do-good-to-others-what-the-others-are-here-for-I-don’t-know, others – it’s already clear. Or so they think. You’ve probably heard it before, or seen it written – most likely as a meme on Twitter, because, it appears, almost everything is written on Twitter – that one should not misinterpret a bad day to mean a bad life. So, there’s that. Know what else there is? Yeah. One of my fav quotes: “It’s funny, isn’t it, how one moment can change a million after it.” – Raya (Movie: How She Move

That moment might be what we refer to as a God-awful moment or it might be a cherished moment or, it might even be a moment that we don’t notice was “a moment”, until we look back and go, “A-ha!” (Sigh. Seven was in there, somewhere. Sorry.) This freefall writing thing is not for the faint of heart. What was in my head in that alliteration just now was “not for the faint of fart…” I should grow up. Maybe next year. I’m not even into those kinds of jokes. I dunno where that one came from. It must’ve been from the fright of freefalling… That’s some scary stuff. See what I didn't do there? Yes. Stuff.

Whether freefalling in writing or doing that trust fall thing or falling in love, that’s some scary… stuff… right there. (Eleventeenth!) My inner editor? The man frowns on falling. I'm thinking duct tape. Though he might out me when I remove it, telling all and sundry how the skeletons in my closet have skeletons in their closets. Meh! Look at the brighter side. I'm not one of them. Pretty sure in all those cases it wasn't the fall; it was the sudden stop - as that saying goes.

So, yeah, falling/freefalling, is not for the faint of heart. But, let that not stop you! No fear! Need a shot in the arm? How I love Edna’s wake-up call to – okay, I’m gonna have to check IMDB for The Incredibles. One sec –

Helen: [sobbing] Now I'm losing him! What'll I do? What'll I do?
Edna: What are you talking about?
Helen: [stops crying] Huh?
Edna: [shouts] You are Elastigirl! My God...
[swatting Helen with a newspaper
Edna: Pull-yourself-together! "What will you do?" Is this a question? You will show him you remember that he is Mr. Incredible, and you will remind him who you are. Well, you know where he is. Go, confront the problem. Fight! Win!
[normal voice]
Edna: And call me when you get back, dahling. I enjoy our visits.

O Em Gee! That is sooo not freefalling! Lol! That is, let-me-jump-from-the-aircraft-with-a-parachute-while-being-seated-in-another-smaller-aircraft-while-watching-a-movie landing! Lol! Ok. For the next post on the 18th (all being well), I’ll duct tape my inner editor’s mouth; try not to use nouns as verbs (like...that, smh) and really make an effort not to control the freefall.

Except for the typos.

I have to live with myself!


Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment