Tuesday 29 September 2009

On a new path

This is cool, isn’t it? 29-09-2009.

A bit off from the 8s, but for a cool-looking cause, I imagine.

I took a new PATH yesterday. Left work about an hour later than usual and figured, since I was already behind my daily schedule, I’d go on the adventure. I’d oft heard about the PATH from Yonge and Dundas to Union Station. Heck. Even tried it several times from Union, but kept getting out still too far south of my workplace. In any case, I’d kept it up until this past summer, when I discovered that the above-ground route was about 10-15 minutes shorter. And that’s not because I stopped in at the shops along the PATH! (They really thought that one through, eh?)

Gotta tell you, though. It was really a maze! But, I kept reminded myself of one of my mantras: "Thank God for my mother who taught me how to read." About 40 minutes later, I saw the sign: Union Station. I couldn't help but smile out loud, thinking: "I did it!" That made me think of another journey...

I started on a new path yesterday. I’ve made the first (baby) steps to completing a Ph.D. program at the University of Toronto. The designation would be Ph.D in Education. The area of emphasis – all being well – would be Workplace Learning and Social Change. And when I say, “baby steps”, that’s exactly what I mean.

I’ve prayed – well, prayed without ceasing, it would seem – about it. The decision has come after much thinking. I’ve finally decided that it is time for me to re-enter the world of academia and scholarly thought; create knowledge and add to the conversation in a meaningful way. So, I called up the registrar of the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) for a few tid-bits of info (but mainly, to talk to a ‘live’ person). I drafted my request for reference letter to send to Professors Andersen and Kowal at SUNY Brockport. And, I am now set to copy my ‘superior papers’ to attach to my request – to kinda jog their memory, you know? As I told my lil sis yesterday, I don’t think they’d find it hard to remember me. (She chuckled.) AND, it’s not because I stood out for bad reasons. No, I was an ‘A’ student and one of the few Teaching Assistants that the Communication Department engages each years. AND, I was re-appointed for my second year – even more unusual!

So, there you have it. I’m on my new path. Even the baby steps count. Just ask Keona!

TYG!


Claudia
www.cyopro.com
www.twitter.com/cyopro

No comments:

Post a Comment